Thursday, February 10, 2011

Various and Sundry

The end of last July, my friend, Corinne, and I attended two Karen Kay Buckley classes at Maine Quilts.   We had a great time and learned a lot about hand and machine applique'.    As do most teachers, Karen Kay told us about her favorite tools and had a supply to sell to students.   I purchased some and wish to share my favorites with you.
  
Scissors with serrated blade - I purchased both size Clovers at the workshop and, recently, another large pair KKBuckley is marketing with her name imprinted on them.   Fabric layers don't slip when using serrated scissors.
Japanese hand-applique' Needles - absolutely, the BEST I have ever used.   They are thin, sharp and wonderful.           Here are some photos:


BTW - I have no business relationship with Karen Kay Buckley and I'm not receiving anything to mention the above products.

Sunday was the rerun of Craft Tea at The Quilted Crow in Boxborough, MA.   Twelve more women were taught to make Primitive Pin Cushions.



Last night was our monthly Guild meeting.   As I mentioned previously, I am chairing the Challenge Committee and we are creating New England Sports Team-themed quilts to give to a charity, called Wrapped Up in Sports, who give quilts to children with medical, mental and social needs.    I was totally, in awe when Susan Parks, one of our members, presented me with a completed quilt top, batting, back and binding.   Some very lucky child will be so happy to receive this quilt:


Last night was also the reveal of our Secret Valentines.    This Twister Valentine quilt was made by me for my Secret (guild sister) Valentine:


And here's the pretty wool table runner I received:


And sew on...

Jeanne

  
    

2 comments:

  1. Those little pincushions are so sweet. Now if I could just remember where I put my extra old canning lids..My little pair of scissors arrived a week ago from K. K. Buckley. I love them and now think I might need to order the larger pair as well. I also purchased her DVD on applique. It is the best I have seen so far. Well thought out and very clear instructions. No affiliation just a happy customer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jeanne,

    Fun primitive pincushions and very clever to place them inside those wonderful lids!

    Your "Twister" heart is adorable another neat idea to use the ruler! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work and tips!

    Love your blog and I will visit you again soon!

    :) Carolyn

    ReplyDelete