Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Maine Quilts weekend

What a wonderful weekend I had at Maine Quilts with my friend, Corinne, from North Carolina !   Augusta, Maine is a 3-hour drive from my house - of course, conversation didn't stop the whole way.   We haven't seen each other for several months, so a full weekend together was quite a treat.

Maine Quilts is held at the Augusta Civic Center just off I95.   We were so pleased to find our lodging just across the parking lot from the Center.

Friday we spent 6 hours viewing the quilts and visiting vendors (of course).  

Another friend, Barbara Martin, who lives in Maine, met us at the show...   Below is a photo of her with her quilt, Baltimore Bunnies:


Friday night we attended the banquet lecture, with speakers, George and Virgina Siciliano.   What a hoot he is !    And talented - he's an amazing miniature paper-piecer and his wife, Virginia, is an extremely talented hand-quilter.   If you ever get a chance to listen to them speak or take a class, don't pass it up.     Here are a few of his quilts:








I saw the next quilt at the AQS show in Lancaster, PA this past March and thought you'd like to see it too.   It reminds me of the Mitford novels by Jan Karon.   The quilt is called Life in Holly Ridge, created by Nancy Prince.



Cyndi Black of The Busy Thimble quilt shop, Litchfield, Maine, entered an awesome log cabin quilt into the show - it's scrappy and made of 3/4" logs, resulting in 3" blocks.   Not only did I LOVE her quilt, but I spent a load at her booth.   Here's the quilt:


I was taken by the next quilt, Lemon Bar Shadows by Kathi Ahern.   It caught my eye everytime I turned that corner where it hung.



Saturday Corinne and I took a machine-applique class with Karen Kay Buckley teaching.    We learned sooooo much.     I do hope to finish this project and will post a picture when completed.
Sunday we took a hand-applique class with Karen.   Again, we learned a lot and reinforced techniques we knew.    Here is a photo of one of Karen's quilts:


Below is block we worked on in Karen Kay Buckley's hand-applique class.



So, the weekend is over and it's back to the old grind.   Sew much to do, sew little time.   Need to attach a label and sleeve to my Parker House (aka Holiday Inn) and get started on Sisters for the August JLWC and, of course... do the laundry and tidy up the house.    But, now it's time to figure out what I'm going to do with those pork chops !!!

And sew on...
~ Jeanne



1 comment:

  1. Ah, funny to come by your blog...I was in the hand applique class too!

    ReplyDelete